James P. Murphy, DMD
Meet Dr. Murphy
Dr. James Murphy has been practicing Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery since 2015 and is Board Certified. After graduating from Boston College in 1998 he joined the U.S. Army where he served overseas tours in the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt in 2000 and Iraq in 2003. He left the Army and in 2005 began dental school at Tufts University in Boston and graduated Summa Cum Laude in 2009. Dr. Murphy joined the Air Force and graduated from the Advanced Education in General Dentistry program at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska in 2010. He completed his training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at David Grant Medical Center, Travis Air Force Base in California in 2015. Dr. Murphy recently departed active duty at Andrews Air Force Base where he served on the faculty of the Uniformed Services University at Walter Reed Naval Military Medical Center and Malcolm Grow Medical Clinics where he trained residents and provided care to service members and their families.
Dr. Murphy is currently a member of the Pennsylvania Air National Guard. He holds the rank of Major, and is a recipient of the Bronze Star Medal for his service during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
He is a member of the surgical staff at Wellspan/York Hospital. His patients are from York and Lancaster Counties, as well as surrounding south-central Pennsylvania region.
Dr. Murphy and his wife have three children. His middle son has autism, which has made him particularly sensitive to families who care for children with special needs.
- B.S., Boston College – 1998
- D.M.D., Tufts University School of Dental Medicine – 2009
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD), Elmendorf Air Force Base, Anchorage, Alaska
- Residency in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, David Grant Medical Center, Travis Air Force Base, CA
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Society
- Fellow, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Member, American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Member, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- Member, Pennsylvania Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Member, Mid-Atlantic Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons